Originally Posted By: Karlman
I've been keeping an eye on PS3 for a blue ray player, so I can answer a couple of your questions.

PS3 can not send a DD True HD or DTS Master Audio stream to another component via any cable. It can decode these internally, and output them as PCM over HDMI (at 7.1 I believe).

It can bitstream undecoded 5.1 over HDMI for decoding by the reciever.

The optical audio can only do 5.1, including I believe decoded DD HD or DTS Master Audio, but can't say for certain

The PS3 doesn't have 5.1/7.1 analog audio outputs.

This is the best link I've found, which describes the current (April/May 2008) capabilities of the PS3.
What's on HDTV

Karlman

Thanks Karlman,

So, if I understand correctly:

Only the HDMI output can send decoded DD-HD and DTS-MA to a receiver. The optical output only gives you core downmix but at a higher bandwidth than regular DVD player.

So, my connection would be:
1. PS3 HDMI out to receiver HDMI in and then receiver HDMI out to Epson projector. This will give me up to DD-HD and DTS-MA sound (and everything in between) decoded by PS3 sent as PCM.

2. In that scenario, the Video portion is either "pass through" the receiver or processed by the receiver's chip ie: HQV Reon up to 1080P (and everything below that) and sent to the Epson projector, all via the same HDMI cable.

Cool.. I think I'm starting to get it now.

Thanks guys,

Steph

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400