I have auditioned the RB-1092 (2x500W) with an Anthem prepro and the RMB-1095 (5x200W) with the Lexicon MC12 in two different rooms of a high-end shop. They both sounded great. I think the the RB-1092 was $2500.

I auditoned the A1400-8 in my house with the Integra DTC-9.8 and M80s. This is a much different setup, but I thought the Axiom amp sounded spectacular in stereo and multi-channel modes. The clarity, speed of attack, and power delivery into dynamic peaks were simply superb (and superior). I also discovered that the M80s are capable of a lot more performance in high volumes than I was used to with my previous 110W/channel receiver. As Dave mentioned, the Axiom amp can divert all of its power into the number of channels driven. You can technically get 700W per channel in stereo mode. If you are using a 20A circuit, power on tap is even more. For an additional $1300 outlay, the Axiom amp provides six additional channels compared to the RB-1092 and obviates the need for a separate 5-channel amp to derive the usual 7-channels for an HT application. For me, the Axiom amp was the clear choice.

I don't have much personal experience with stereo preamps to give a meaningful recommendation.

John

Last edited by ihifi; 08/04/08 08:40 PM.

John
Our HT