I thank everyone for their thoughtful and intelligent responses to my question.
Speaking about improving the sound of my audio systom,I am definitely not a believer in all the snake oil cures promoted by many in the high end crowd.However I recently purchased a Music Fidelity V Dac which has been highly reviewed in the audio media.Even though I was inclined to be skeptical as to whether there would be any imrovement in sound to my system but purchased it on impulse for $299.I hooked it up to my Sony 2000ES SACD player and lo and behold the sound that emerged from my M80's made them sound like some very high end speakers i've audioned in the salons.
I have over 2000 red book classical cd's as well as over 200 SACD's and the sound of my cd's was of a much higher quality then that of the SACD's.I was truely astounded.
The only downside is that I can't use the Sony for SACD's on my Sony because of the V DAC.I now use a Oppo 970 as my source for them.I would like to reiterate that the improvement in sound was not minimal but highly discernible not only by myself but many others.
Disclaimer:I have no vested connection with Musical Fidelity in any way or form.