Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
HD Audio Requirements?
#177543 10/01/07 04:36 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So with all of the talk about new "lossless" audio, and all of the "advanced" audio options on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, my question is this...

What (besides the HD player of course) is required to be able to listen to these new formats?

I know that isn't a simple question as there are players with HDMI only, and ones with HDMI and analog outputs...

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX, but is it even possible to get these new formats to output through that receiver? It does NOT have HDMI, but does have analog audio inputs.

Here is an older link to the specs on the machine:
Elite VSX-54TX

I am just trying to map out my next steps to get into HD, and I can't afford to drop more money on a receiver right now since i really like the one that I have already. So if I can't do and HD Audio even with analog inputs, then that means that I can just buy a cheaper player since I can't display above 720p either, and I won't be upgrading my projector for many years. By then, everything that is expensive today will be a lot cheaper and it won't matter. If I CAN do the HD audio, then I will have to find a player that can output via analog and feature the HD audio processing on the player since I know my receiver can't handle that part of it.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: HD Audio Requirements?
nickbuol #177544 10/01/07 04:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you have analogue inputs, you can get TrueHD. But your player will cost more...

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #177545 10/01/07 04:48 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
That is what I was affraid of. Of course, it also means that I wouldn't need to upgrade my receiver too.

It seemed like it would work, but I just wanted to make sure. Now I just need a sale in about a month or so on an HD-DVD player that supports all of the HD audio formats and decodes then to analog....

EDIT:

YIKES! It looks like I would need to drop $600 on an HD-XA2 to get the 5.1 channel analog audio!!! I guess I'll be waiting a little longer...

EDIT #2:
Or maybe the HD-X35 for $500... YIKES again!

Last edited by nickbuol; 10/01/07 05:04 PM.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #177546 10/01/07 06:19 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Nick,

I know you are trying to get into this as economically as possible, so you may want to just hold off until you can save enough money to get an AVR with HDMI 1.3 audio processing.

I’ve been noticing that many HD and BR disks are coming out with the latest / greatest audio tracks on them, but they are not including an additional Lossless PCM track on them like they have been, which us current HD/BR junkies are enjoying. In theory, the player should convert DTS-M and Dolby True HD into a PCM, multi channel data stream if they do not detect an audio processor that accepts these new formats. This would negate the need for an HDMI 1.3 audio processor. However, I do not think that it can be assumed that they will decode these new formats. I can tell you that my PS3 will not decode DTS-M (but is rumored that a firmware update will be coming to address this). I do not know if the new G3 HD players will decode these codecs and convert to PCM or not either. The PS3 ends up sending the ‘core’, regular DTS audio stream which is embedded in the DTS-M codec. I believe that as these disks continue to be rolled out, us folks who have HDMI 1.1 and 1.2 audio processors will be once again at the mercy of the manufactures enabling their devices to come up with work arounds for us to continue to enjoy lossless sound.

Considering this ‘new’ issue, I suggest that you look at the new batch of HDMI 1.3 audio processors, and 1.3 HD and / or BR players coming out this fall and 08. I would pass on the X2 and go with the A35 because it is coming out of the box ready, up to speed whereas the X2 is waiting for yet another firmware update to do the same. I would wait a few months to see what BR players hit the streets, if you decide you want BR as well. I think the first of 08 will have several BR players on the market that are both inexpensive, and up to speed on decoding all the audio formats.

michael_d #177547 10/01/07 08:04 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite

Do you know that that is?

It's a burst bubble...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #177548 10/01/07 08:32 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Sorry....But if you don't want to buy an HDMI AVR right now, you are stuck with a player that has analogue outputs.

If it makes your choice easier, Amazon has the X2 listed at $499 today. You better buy it quick though. They don't usually stay this low for more than a day or two.....

And Toshiba has anounced that a firmware update is coming shortly to address the decoding issues it is having right now, so you should be covered when/if you do get a different AVR. The X2 is still Toshiba's top end unit with the best build quality. Dangit....I think I just talked myself into ordering the dam thing.

michael_d #177549 10/01/07 09:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not trying to spend anyones money But the X2 is a great product with great support, you can download updates right to the unit or if you register your player with Toshiba they mail you the upgrade discs. I have never had anything but praise for this unit.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #177550 10/01/07 09:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just when one believes one's system is up to date and dialed in, along comes HD DVD, Blu-Ray, HDMI compatible receivers and components...etc.

Does it ever end? Which actually brings another question to my mind ... what's next?

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #177551 10/01/07 11:51 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Doesn't Sony (I think that it was Sony) have a patent already on the technological "idea" on how to beam images and sound directly into the human brain? MIND CONTROL..... But it would be the ULTIMATE in realism if it worked. No more "widescreen vs P&S"... It would just be called "All-Vision" or something... No more "surround sound" it would be "Sound Immersion" or something...

But back to my topic, so what people are saying is that if I keep my current AVR, and go with an HD player with 5.1 analog audio outputs, there is some "limitation" of sound output? Please explain more... Thanks!

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #177552 10/02/07 12:00 AM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Quote:

Doesn't Sony (I think that it was Sony) have a patent already on the technological "idea" on how to beam images and sound directly into the human brain? MIND CONTROL..... But it would be the ULTIMATE in realism if it worked. No more "widescreen vs P&S"... It would just be called "All-Vision" or something... No more "surround sound" it would be "Sound Immersion" or something...

You mean no more room or acoustics problems? What fun would that be?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,951
Posts442,537
Members15,623
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters