In reply to:

But some comments anyway - 3db is not twice as loud - it's "slightly louder" according to Axiom's own articles.

Correct, a logarithmic scale, twice the power (watts) is a 3dB increase, 6dB is twice the signal, and 10dB is perceived as twice as loud. Was rushing through what started out as just a message and ended up as a theory lesson and made a mistake of logic.

In reply to:

Try the intro of Beethoven's Pathetique. Or nearly anything off Johnny Cash's first American Recordings CD (can't recall the name of it...starts with Delia's Gone).

PM me with a way to get a clip (uncompressed WAV/AIFF/etc) of it, and I'll do the same for it.

In reply to:

One sample jitter is 23 microseconds of change. The noise floor, while HUGE by the standards of silence, is tiny compared to the busy tune. These things are heard during subtle quiet accurate clean nearly-naked pieces of music, especially during decays and rests.

Again, my model took into consideration an insanely large amount of white noise - enough that it was clearly audible by itself. You'd definately hear that much during a rest. The actual amount of noise differential we'd be talking about between DACs would be a LOT lower, to the point where giving your ears a good cleaning before each listening would do much more for your enjoyment than the chip would.

In reply to:

I not really sure one "jitter" (the 23uS) is even audible - I think our limit of discrimination is more like 30uS. But I think my kmart cheapie on a bad day strings all six screw ups together, and THIS, you might hear.

Then the player should be thrown out. Even a CD-ROM that was packing it in on one of my computers could manage 1-3 jitter errors per track on average (while ripping at 4x). We're talking a CD-ROM that would take an extra 5-6 seconds to recognize a CD and bit the bullet about 2 weeks later.

Bren R.