Originally Posted By: JohnK
Glenn, you partially missed the point: of course tone controls, ambience processing, and similar features which are specifically designed to change the sound will do so so when they're selected. There's no argument about that. The basic pre-amplification and amplification stages(with controls set flat)are supposed to amplify without adding audible sonic colorations, and well-designed units do so.

Hi John -

Honestly do understand your point, and agree with it.

The only thing I do not understand is what constitutes "well-designed" (your words) or "reasonably good" (Mark's words).

That's why I asked if there was any way to add some science to those descriptions. Would be great to know what to key in on when looking at A/V receiver spec sheets.

If my Denon 3808 was to die tomorrow, and I were to go shopping for a new A/V receiver, would certainly look at the feature list for all the right logos (Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master, etc.). But have no idea how to judge its technical specifications to make sure it meets your description of "well-designed".

And FYI, have decided to move my EP175 to my office and match it up with some new Audiobytes I am getting. Also going to order two EP400s for my main room.

Thanks a lot -- really do appreciate your advice, and that of other forum members!

Glenn